Every year, thousands of students make the choice to enter into the lucrative field of medical coding. While there are currently just under one hundred medical coding training programs strewn about the country, only a few have the distinction to make it to the top of the list. This year, we’ve decided to split the list of top programs by those with actual campuses and those that are offered online. Regardless of which career path you take, be it online or on campus, any of the programs below will provide you with the best training possible so that you can enter the workforce as a qualified candidate.
The Best Medical Coding Schools of 2013
It’s important to note that there are currently 92 institutions in the United States that offer medical coding training programs. These campuses are located in only 29 of the 50 states, with the greatest concentration of accredited schools residing in Florida and Indiana. With this in mind, if you cannot find a suitable program in your state, it might be best to look into an online program or consider relocating.
Note: If you land on a particular school’s homepage, simply enter what you’re looking for in the search box (typically located in the upper right of the homepage) and navigate from there.
- St. Catherine University, St. Paul, MN: One of the first schools in Minnesota to provide medical coding programs and ranked #14 among top regional universities in the Midwest by U.S. News & World Report. Students have the option to choose between basic medical coding and coding specialists. A daytime professional practicum is mandatory and a health information specialist associate degree program is offered that includes preparation for credentialing as a Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT).
- Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA: One of the top 100 schools in the United States, Drexel offers full online and course driven medical coding programs that can be completed in under a year. Students are fully prepared for national certification exams and even better, students only have to pay for the courses they need.
- Mercyhurst University, Erie, PA: One of the top 50 schools in the United States according to U.S. News, this campus offers medical insurance coding specialist programs that sets their graduates apart in the job field. Students will take medical terminology, anatomy, physiology, medical office administration, CPT coding, disease process and a coding internship while graduates qualify for the Certified Coding Specialist exam administered through AHIMA. The school also offers coding and billing courses through its associate degree program in medical office management.
- California State University, East bay, Hayward, CA: CSU Eastbay offers separate courses for standard, hospital and physician’s office billing and coding certificate programs so students have more choice on where their careers are headed.
- City College, Fort Lauderdale, FL: City College’s medical office administration program offers insurance billing and coding track with a 90-hour practicum that makes it easy to enter the workforce directly after graduation.
- Dakota State University, Madison, SD: Offering certificate courses in health care coding, DSU’s programs are available entirely online or on campus, making it an ideal location for either.
- Davenport University, Grand Rapids, MI: With a mix of certificate programs, refresher courses, and degree programs in health insurance coding, billing and claims management, Davenport University provides one of the most comprehensive packages in the Midwest.
- Pennsylvania College of Technology, Williamsport, PA: In addition to the various degrees and programs offered to Health Information students, there is an active Health Information Association (HIA) organization run by students and giving full peer support to those enrolled in medical coding programs.
- Williston State College, Williston, ND: Offers certificate and associate degree programs in medical billing and health information management, opening up opportunities for graduates.
Top Online Training Programs of 2013
Online medical coding programs provide a unique opportunity for those who are too busy with their lives to take off a structured amount of time to attend a campus program. Keep in mind that you must be able to follow through on your study habits and workload, as many online attendees don’t graduate due to lack of self-motivation.
- Drexel University Online: Offering a six-course, 18 credit online program that nets graduates a Medical Billing and Coding Certificate, Drexel’s College of Nursing and Health Professions is one of the most widely recognized in the nation. Courses can be completed in under a year and all graduates of DUO are completely prepped and ready to sit for various certification exams.
- Kaplan University: Offering the best Associate of Applied Science in Medical Transcription, the courses at Kaplan University can be taken at any of their multiple campuses or completely online. Offering a 90 credit program that teaches graduates the ins and outs of effectively transcribing physicians’ dictation recordings and creating clear and accurate documents to be added to patient and physician records, Kaplan has been certified by the Approval Committee for Certificate Programs.
- Ultimate Medical Academy: UMA offers both an online Diploma in Medical Billing and Coding, as well as an Associate of Science in Medical Billing and Coding degree—both of which give students a career-orientated taste of what it’s like to work as a coding professional through their extensive online program. All UMA’s online courses can be completed within 10 months for a diploma and 18 months for an associate.
- Virginia College Online: This 96 quarter credit/hour online program prepares graduates to enter the work force not only with a degree in medical coding, but also with externship experience that provides them with on-the-job training.
- National American University Online: This online diploma in Medical Coding and Associate of Applied Science in Health Information Technology is one of the best in the country. The Healthcare Coding program at NAU prepares its students for the Certified Coding Associate (CCA) certification exam administered by AHIMA.
- Bryant & Stratton College Online: Providing students with an opportunity to graduate with an Associate of Applied Science in Medical Reimbursement & Coding in as little as 20 months, and equips students with the knowledge necessary to pass exams from both the AAPC and AHIMA.
Still have questions about what school to go to, or if it’s even necessary? Read Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions About Medical Coding Schools.